Monday, March 26, 2012

Class Behavior Incentive

"Kids you can earn a Free Music Day. The classes that earn the most points at the end of every month earns the "B# Music Class Award" and will get to have a choice day in music!

Free Music Day/Choice Day = Students get to choose what they want to do. It is always games games games. They vote on the music games that they know and we play the whole class time. My classes are 45 minutes long so they can usually play 2, maybe 3 games.




Here's how it works:

I have a Class Chart on my white board. Each time they come in to music, they will earn a 1, 2, or 3.
3= Terrifically in Tune :)
2= Needs Improvement :
1= Hit a Sour Note :(

I grade the class on the following: Entering/exiting quietly, Participation/effort, behavior

At the end of class, I write the number on a small piece of paper to give to their teacher.  I also write it on the class roster poster to keep track. This is also an easy way for the class room teacher to know how they did in music. (Some teachers apply the number to their own discipline system in their classes. For example, if they earn a 3, the teacher would give them another marble in the jar, or a letter on their mystery word (towards a party). Or, if it's a 1, they would loose something.  Some teachers don't do anything.I don't expect them to do anything, it is just a way to let them know how their class did.)

The kids are always working for that 3. It gives them a goal to work towards every time they come to music.
During the class I have the numbers  1   2   3   written on the whiteboard. If their behavior starts to slide, all I have to do is walk over to the board and erase the 3. I don't have to say anything and they get back on track. Then I can go to the board and write it back up there when they improve. At the end of the class I decide how the class as a whole did.
I don't take away the 3 if it is just one or two kids messing around, but if it is a group or most of the class they loose it. The kids know they need to work together as a team.

FREE MUSIC DAY: I tell the kids what I mentioned at the beginning of the post.  But, what I really do is NOT add up points. I look at the chart and the classes that got all 3's for the month are the classes that earn the award and free day.  I don't tell them this, otherwise, if they get a 1 or 2 one day, they won't try for the rest of the month. They have never figured this out. I just tell them "well see who gets the most points at the end of the month".  I usually have an average of 10 classes who get the free music day. I have them announced on the morning announcements. They love to hear their class mentioned. I also made laminated posters that say "B# Sharp Music Class Award" and post it by their class room door.




1 comment:

  1. I love the 3 point system. I have been using a similar system, with 5 possible points, but I have been marking individual points each week. Writing the total is so much easier. Why didn't I think of that? :)

    ReplyDelete